Sunday, October 4, 2009

Steel Toe Sunday Shoes

So I've had some requests to post this story on my blog. It happened to me about a year ago. I was still working graveyards at home depot at the time, and just getting ready to start school again. I went to Walmart one day with 2 goals in mind... Get steel toe shoes for work (too many incidents with pallets falling on my feet) and get new dress shoes for church. After looking around for a while, I spotted something that filled me with hope and joy! STEEL TOE DRESS SHOES!!!!!!!! For a guy who is trying to save money, I thought this was a dream come true. "Two birds with one stone." I thought. So I bought them.

I drove home feeling pretty good about my purchase. I managed to only spend half of what I had origionally intended. When I got home, I had a very blunt and harsh revelation: "Who in the sam hill wears dress shoes to their graveyard job?" I sat there staring at my shoes, realizing that I had just scammed myself (it was an excellent scam, though). But then I foolishly thought "Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try them for one night."..... I won't go into too much detial of that night at Home Depot. It was full of friendly ridicule from co-workers, including, but not limited to, Rex. (He probably deserves an entire blog post of his own.) In the end, I decided that they were too bulky and showy to be practical for work, but because my old mission shoes are so worn out, I use them for church. They're kind of heavy, but hey, if anything falls on my feet in the middle of sacrament meeting, I'll be ready.

1 comment:

dixon.mary said...

Steel toe sunday shoes? Who thinks up things like that? You're so funny. Oh -- and I love the disk drop game on the side.