Saturday, May 1, 2010

Wheel of Fortune?

At the end of every semester, it's one of my favorite times of the year.... TEXT BOOK SELL BACK!!!!! This is the time of year when the University tries to ease the aches and pains of rising tuition and outlandish textbook prices by giving you 5 bucks for every textbook you give them back.

The bookstore at the U is extra sensitive to the feelings of their starving students, and provides another way to ease the pain, stress, and sorrow. They have this big wheel set up, in a wheel of fortune fashion, that students can come and spin to get some kind of prize. Some of the prizes were gift certificates, or another 5 bucks, or candy bars, T-shirts, Hats, etc., etc. Anyway, hoping for another 5 bucks, I went up and spun the wheel. My heart raced as I realized that a minimal amount of my fate rested on the final result of the wheel's circular dance. As it began to slow down, as they usually do, I was able to get an idea of about where it was going to land. I figured my best bet was the wedge labeled "Candy", so I started cheering for the Candy Bar! Much to my eventual confusion, it landed on a wedge titled "U-Turf." What is U-Turf you ask? Well, so did I.

The people running the wheel got very excited and said "YOU WON THE TURF!!!!" One of the lady's reached behind the table to a stack of wooden boxes, grabbed one, and handed it to me.

"What's this?"

"It's worth a hundred dollars!!!!"

So, I walked off with a wooden box worth 100 dollars. Upon later inspection, I realized that the wooden box had a seal that said "Rice-Eccles Authentic Stadium Turf." I opened the box to reveal a piece of green and white astro turf! The label on the back of the lid informed me that this was a piece of the field where the Runnin Utes went undefeated... TWICE! I decided to do a little google-ing to find out exactly how much my new box of fake grass was worth. KSL apparently did a story on it. According to the story, it really is worth 100 bucks!

Well, I still haven't decided what to do with my box of plastic grass... any ideas?

6 comments:

Tom Dixon said...

A box of fake grass?

That is so not worth 100 bucks

dixon.mary said...

Dude. Weird.

I'd hawk it on ebay. Scott would display it on the mantle :)

Unknown said...

I'll give you five bucks AND a candy bar for it. :)

Robert said...

Have you considered planting it in an open field somewhere and letting it grow? In a few years you could have thousands of dollars of valuable Astroturf. I'd even help you make the wood boxes for a portion of the proceeds!

dixon.mary said...

Love the new blog look

Julie said...

You know, you could put it up for auction on eBay just after a big win. And really rake in the money from some sentimental person trying to relive his glory days when he was a student. It could be a very good investment!